Overdrive solution - guaranteed

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Overdrive solution - guaranteed
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 11:01:38 -0500
Hi all,  DAve Terrick here with a brainstorm.  Well, brain-light mist.
Nothing like what Mexico's getting.

The ubiquitous Volvo 4 speed with overdrive also uses a Laycock J type
overdrive.  However,  it's operation is different.  It only works in top
gear and will kick off automatically when taken out of top gear.

I presume this is done via a neutral switch and some form of relays.

For anyone who cares to do so, I'm sure that a similar arrangement can be
made in a TR box.  My knowledge of the various top covers is a bit vague
right now but I presume that a modification could be made to earlier top
covers so that neutral is detected.  This momentary pulse would kick out
the overdrive's secondary coil and disengage it.

The Volvo has a momentary contact switch on the shift knob.  Again I
presume this energises a circuit which can be kicked out by another burst
of power from any other source.

Since I know "nothing"  about electronics (ok, just enough  to be
dangerous)  perhaps someone out there would be interested in designing this
circuit.  The obvious benefit would be that you could not inadvertently
leave the car in overdrive - and that selection in a downshift situation
would need to be a conscious effort.

Any thoughts on this?  Or are we just monkeying around with Mr. Jos Lucas
and his original intentions?

Dave Terrick
Winnipeg

PS:  re the intermittent wiper circuit... I will soon post it to the VTR
page... that is as soon as I can get a reasonable graphic into my article
without a hand scanner or any capability to draw a straight line without a
ruler!