Gas tank leak

To: Triumph Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Gas tank leak
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 20:19:37 -0700
Hey all youse (y'all if you are of the southern persuasion)

Today I tackled a particularly troublesome problem.

I had noticed for some time the faint smell of gasoline when the top
was up.  However, I never could find any leaks.

Further inspection revealed a little gasoline (petrol) up under the
right hand side of my fuel tank.

I pulled the tank out and inspected it and noticed that there was some
gas around what appeared to be a dimple in the metal.  I wiped it off
and it came back.  So, that's where it was coming from.  But What to do?

I completely drained the remaining fuel and filled the tank with water
to remove the remaining vapors.  After draining the water and blow
drying the inside, I noticed that there appeared to be a false side in
the tank when I looked inside to see if it was dry.  Those sly devils
in England put baffels in the tank.  How clever?  But the dimple turns
out to be a spot weld that holds the right baffle in.

I got out the handy Acetylene torch and with a brass rod make a quick
repair, and slapped that bad boy back on.   Good as new.

You learn something new every day...

Joe Curry   '63 Spit