RE: Spit HP (was emissions)

To: "'Tom O'Malley'" <tomomalley@hey.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Spit HP (was emissions)
From: Kris Kane <motrsprt@micron.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 10:14:29 -0600
My car is a '79.  That would be cool if you could nail down the advertised
hp. rating of the '76's.  That would give me a better idea of what I might
have, although I'd have to figure in the stepped-up cam I've installed...

As for the underhood sticker giving the hp. rating, sorry, but that was
a false illusion I had.  I read it in my Haynes service manual on page 27
where it states that maximum hp. for N. American cars have 61 hp., and
the non-N. American cars have 71 hp.  There, from this source I have my
facts straight.

This manual also states that the 1147cc. motors w/high compression
have 67 hp., while the low compression ones have 57.
The 1296cc. motors with high compression have 75 hp., while the low
compression ones have 65 hp. (emission controlled high compression
motors are rated at 68 hp.).

Does this comply with others' findings?  If not, what are the differences?

Kris

Kris...

What year is your Spit?  We're trying to nail down the advertised HP
on a '76 Federal 1500 which came through with 9.0 to 1 compression.

Do you really have an under hood sticker that states HP?
Hmmmm...maybe I better dash out and take a look at mine too!
<Okay Joe...I'll get the comission # while I'm there... :-) >

Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits