Re: Senate Bill vetos

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Senate Bill vetos
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 12:03:30 -0700
Cc: ingate@shiseis.com
>       Mmmm, that confuses me.  In the Union Tribune last week,
>Wilson wrote a letter stating the reasons why he refused to sign SB500
>(the "Saturday Night Special" handgun control bill).  He did not
>mention veto, only that he would not sign the bill.  As a result,
>SB500 is no more
************************************
The following is an excerpt direct from the Calif Gov. web page at
http://www.sen.ca.gov/www/leginfo/bill2law.htm

   <  snip  >
The Governor has 12 days to sign, approve without signing, or veto a bill.
A letter or phone call to the Governor's Office is appropriate to state
your position on the bill.

If the bill is signed or approved without a signature, it goes to the
Secretary of State to be chaptered. If the governor vetoes the bill, a
two-thirds vote in each house is needed to override the veto. The
Governor's office releases veto messages which explain the veto; these
messages are available from the Governor's Office and on the Internet.
   <  snip  >
That's what I was going by, and I hope it's true.  Unless I'm missing
something (entirely possible), it would mean that whether he signs it or
not, it's law unless he vetoes it -