TR3A windshield bolt removal

To: matrix1643@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3A windshield bolt removal
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 97 12:45:45 -0400
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     Hi Derek,

     I recently went through the windshield screw thing too and can sympathize.
     I tried a number of methods over about a two week period, which included a
     few different types of penetrating oil.
     The following did work on 1 1/2 of the screws: Take a 2 x 10 plank about a
     foot long and drill a hole of appropriate diameter about half way through
     the board, in the middle of it. The hole goes against the handle of the
     screwdriver on which you have carefully ground the end to precisely fit
the
     slot, which I later discovered really was concave, not an optical
illusion.
     Place the board against your chest and pull yourself towards the car with
     all your might as you turn the screwdriver with vice-grips clamped on to
     the flat part near the screw head. Do NOT bother trying to turn the handle
     by hand; I now have damaged my wrist and it seems that it will be a very
     long time before it will recover.
     I didn't try Armor-All as a penetrant, but now am seeing this mentioned on
     the list with some regularity. Maybe it works. WD-40 didn't, Liquid Wrench
     didn't, and Release-All did on one, but by then it could have been the
     combination of the three for all I know.
     Do NOT respond to the temptation to wiggle the stanchions all around once
     one of the two screws comes out; this can (did) do damage to the body.

     In the end, I finally drilled the heads of the remaining screws. The
     stanchions then fall right off, and the best part is that there's enough
     bolt left to clamp onto with vice-grips, whereupon they come out with no
     effort whatsoever! Had I known this, I would have drilled immediately and
     saved myself aggravation, time, and my wrist. The drill bit should be
about
     5/8", if I remember right. I can check if you want. It's a bit tricky to
     get it started but then it's OK.

     Next problem is finding replacement bolts. I'm still looking for some with
     a Robertson head but may have to use the slots from TRF or somebody as
     nothing else besides hex-heads seems to be available.

     Hope this helps. Now I'd like to know how you got the apron off! I can't
     see how to get at the captive nuts in around the headlights, and I can't
     get the headlight buckets out because the nuts on the back of those bolts
     are rotating.

     Regards,
     Jim Wallace
     TR3A TS81417

     You wrote:

     "..... I'm having trouble removing the bolts that hold on the
     windshield mounts and the bolts that are inside the edge of the trunk
     that hold on the rear wings.  Both sets of bolts have a flat-head type
     bolt or screw and I've tried  many different sizes and even an impact
     wrench as well as many types of penetrants.  Is there any way I can
     get these out without havin' to break out the drill?...."

     Thanx

     Derek Van Treese

     '60 TR3a TS67917 L