Re: TR6 O/D indicator (was Audible buzzer)

To: peterz@merak.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 O/D indicator (was Audible buzzer)
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 19:20:40 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-10-07 17:34:38 EDT, peterz@merak.com writes:

> So I could wire up one of these lamps to server as the o/d indicator.
>  Can you suggest a wiring scheme for this scenario? I assume I would just
>  wire it up to indicate the position of the o/d switch rather than
>  actually indicating if the o/d was mechanically invoked (relevant to me
>  as my o/d does not currently function and I suspect faulty o-rings - I
>  have already checked out the electrical parts of the system - and this
>  is my project for the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend coming up this
>  week).
>
>  The other thing I would like to do is to replace the EGR (or SEAT BELTS)
>  text in the lamp cover with a more apporpriate O/D. Any suggestions on
>  this one?

Piece of cake on both counts, Peter.

First of all, we'll look at the wiring changes. Looking at the schematic,
there is a yellow/green wire going between the O/D switch (item 58) and the
O/D gearbox switch (item 59). Call this wire point "A" There is a
yellow/purple wire going between the O/D gearbox switch and the O/D solenoid
(item 60). Call this wire point "B"

The EGR warning lamp (item 43) has a green wire on one side, and the other
side goes to the EGR counter (item 41). Disconnect both wires from the lamp.
Connect one side of the lamp to a good ground, and the other side to either
point A or point B.

If you connect to point A, the lamp will be on any time the O/D switch is on.
If you connect to point B, the lamp will be on only when power is applied to
the solenoid. Of course, this only tells you that power has been applied - it
doesn't tell you if the solenoid actually engaged!

>From the schematic, I can't tell if the yellow/purple wire is accessible. It
may be internal to the gear box/overdrive unit, and may be difficult to get
to (not impossible - just difficult). Both of my current TR6s are '71s,
without the EGR light, and without O/D (Well, that's not entirely true. One
of them has a five speed!), so I am relying on the schematic.

The indicator looks as if it were designed to be changed, the change is so
easy (before I wrote this, I went to the garage and changed one just to be
sure I was remembering correctly). All that is required is to very carefully
pry the cover off, using nothing but your fingers. Inside the cover, you will
find a piece of colored plastic, and a piece of clear plastic with the
printing on it. Just replace the clear with a piece of clear of your own,
with your own writing, and replace the cover. If you want, you can replace
the colored plastic with a color of your choice.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74