Setting Valve Lash

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Setting Valve Lash
From: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 10:38:54 -0700
There was a thread on the list a short time ago regarding setting valve
lash.  It petered-out, though, shortly after one member teased us with a
tidbit about setting his Spit valve lash *hot*.  I'd be very interested
to hear about his technique and the proper hot spec.  As I mentioned in
an earlier posting, I have set many "bulletproof" Merkin engines (slant
sixes, etc.) while the engines were running by using a flat feeler
gauge, slowly cranking down the adjuster until the gauge is pretty much
trapped, and backing the adjuster out until I can just get feeler gauge
movement at the slack points.  The process is messy, but it's quick and
easy, and I've never had a problem (luck?); however, I'm more than a
little reluctant to give this a go on Malibu Barbie's Dream Car.

So, any hints, tips, or tricks?

Thanks!

-Schuyler
--