Re: Real Live TR6 Fuel Pump Question -Reply

To: scotty@sni.net, Martin Wilson <martinw@fmc.gov>
Subject: Re: Real Live TR6 Fuel Pump Question -Reply
From: "The Stretz's" <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 23:01:21 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Martin Wilson wrote:

> FWIW, I have learned NEVER park my tr facing DOWNHILL!!, for that
> exact reason.
>
> Marty wilson
> former sixer"
> now schrewfirer"
> (always a waverer)

> Chad wrote:
>
> [...]I noticed that my TR6 block was a little moist around the fuel pump
>
> [...]I casually smelled the dipstick and I got a faint whiff of fuel.
>
> IMO, the fuel in your oil is not coming from the fool pump.  Likely you
> need
> new jets in the carbs.  The TR6 gas tank is higher than the float bowls
> in the carbs
> and it will siphon gas down the intake manifold, past the valves, and
> then down
> into the sump.  This just happened to me a few months back.
>
> I suspect the fool pump as did you, however, there are drains in the
> pump to prevent
> this from happening, (Vents on the bottom of the pump, if it's stock)
> It is possible
> that fuel is getting into the sump via the fuel pump, but it's not very
> likely.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> -Scotty '75TR6

Thanks Scotty and Marty!  Each little tidbit of info I pull from this
list is a revelation!

The new fuel-sorry, fool pump provided me with a dry block, and nothing
else.  I changed the oil and drove it about 50 miles only to have her
stinkin' again.  Long-overdue carb rebuilds, heavy on the jets, coming
up!

Thanks again,

Chad Stretz
73 TR6