Re: TR4 Checklist

To: JCC8%CB%HR@bangate.pge.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Checklist
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 20:02:56 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: ArthurK101@aol.com

> My name is John Clark.  I found your name listed on the VTR site as a TR4
>  resource.  I'm in the market for one and wondered if you could offer me
any
>  advice; e.g., model/yr, things to look for and things to avoid, etc.
>
>  Any assistance you can give would be appreciated.

John, welcome to the world of Triumphs.  If you are looking for a TR4 here
are some basic ideas.

1)  Body work is more expensive than mechanical work.  So you want as rust
free a car as possible.  If the car has already been restored check for bondo
and painted over rust with a magnet.  Also get it up on a lift and check for
frame rust.  The more rust you find the less it is worth, the more work you
will have to do, and possibly you might not want to buy it.  Places to look
are wherever two pieces of metal come together or wherever water can
accumulate.  Use a flashlight and a screwdriver to scrape away undercoating
etc.

2) Mechanically, the car should be sound or you must know what needs to be
done.  Check engine for compression, any smoke and general condition.  If the
car is driveable, take it for a ride.  Check for clutch operation, shifting,
and ride handling.

3) Do some research!  Here's how:
     a) join a local TR club.  Nice people and much expertise.  Clubs are
listed in the     VTR magazine.
      b) go to the library or a bookstore and get some books on Triumphs.
 Bill Piggott's book Original Triumph TR is a good one for general info and
history but there are others.
      c) Get on the "triumph list".  I can give you the details of the list
and how to get on (it's free), if you want.

4) How much you should pay depends on the condition.  Go to a bookstore
-Barnes and Noble has magazines which give prices and conditions for cars.
 There is one (I keep forgetting to write down the name) which gives the car,
year, model and 1 thru 6 numbers to describe the condition.  It then gives a
price for each number.

5)  Remember the old addage "Marry in haste-repent at leisure"  You are about
to do something similar to a marriage.  First decide what you want to use the
car for i.e. daily driver, occasional use, restore to"concours" - whatever.
 Then how much you want to work on it to get it to that use.  Of course you
must consider your mechanical abilities and/or how much you want to pay
someone else to do the work. The cars are out there, look on finding the one
for you as a quest and be patient.

That's a start.  Remember it's your money and time.  I would suggest not
buying a car which is "in parts".  You want something you can drive and enjoy
while you fix it up.  BTW - there are places and people on the web and in
Hemming's Motor News which list TR4's for sale.  Hope this helps.  Feel free
to come back to me if you have any more questions.  :-)  cheers.

(I am copying this to the "triumph list.  Maybe someone there will have some
more thoughts for you.  Guys & Gals??)

Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L (original owner/factory pickup)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant