'77 Spitfire

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, nowin4me@telis.org
Subject: '77 Spitfire
From: John Matthews <matthews@sj.bigger.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 08:32:22 -0700
Morning All,

Thanks to Dave Hodge I'm now the proud owner of a 1977 Spitfire 1500.

Comm.#  FM66089
Paint#  94 (yellow)
Trim#   C11
Engine# FM88322UE

I'm sure all of you have been following the saga of California SMOG LAW
Re: SB42. Well, this car is soon to be a victim of our draconian
legislation. Even if SB42 passes it would still be 5 years until I could
make it run right. It only has 38k on the clock, and I'll bet anyone
that's because all the junk they put on it for smog kept the car from
running for more than a thousand miles at a shot. Soon the motor and
tranny will reside in the '61 racin' Herald, the brakes will go to Dave
for his next Herald, and the chassis and differential to Dick Nyquist's
SCCA GT-6.

In a more reasonable state this car would be repaired and driven, but
the import fee ($365-), smog repair ($????), and my desire to have more
power have relegated it to parts car status. I'm not sure what other
parts will be needed by my circle of friends, but there's lots of trim
pieces, body pannels, and original SMOG equipment that will be avaiable
soon. Let me know if any of you need body pannels or bits and pieces. It
looks like it's all there, including the original chrome plated left
hand whitworth eustanchion plinth;-).

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Racin' Herald (soon to have double the power!!!)