Re: Brake MastCyl Tipping Valve Nut

To: Rikrock@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake MastCyl Tipping Valve Nut
From: David M Brock <dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 09:28:38 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Just thought you'd like to know the progress.  I did beat the system.

I looked for the "1/2" Hex Socket" at two local places, and found nothing.
Having already tried the hex head bolt with vise grips, and succeeded in
stripping two bolts.  (There's nothing to grab onto at the thread end, so
the vice grips just slipped)

I cooked this up:  I got a 6" hex bolt, and bent it to look like a "J"
(hex at the top) and grabbed the bottom (hook) in a vice.  then, with the
cylinder in my hand, I twisted it and the thing wouldn't move.  I was
confident that my engineering was sound, so I used a little penetrating
oil (WD40) and tried it again 30 minutes later.  Beleive it or not, when
it turned as easily as it did, I thought I'd busted it or something.  It
was like a dream.  I should have tried the oil first(!).  Live & Learn, I
guess.

I did, however, end up with an extra seal after rebuilding, though.  I'm
not really concerned, because one of the other seals- the reservoir lid
seal, was way the wrong size- so I'm guessing that they come sometimes
with generic extras.  I'm sending the wrong sized seal back to Obsolete
Auto to see if they'll replace it.  If not, it's the lid, so the old one
will work fine.

--
David Brock                       dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca