spit frames

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: spit frames
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com (Tom Omalley)
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 22:30:00 -0640
Barry Schwartz wrote:

>They did make a few changes so it would not be possible to just swap
>frames and bolt everything up.  You can however use it.  Your current
>bumpers front and back wouldn't fit (mount/bolt up) as the frames were
>strengthened/different for the federalized bumpers, which the 74 lacks
>(a good time to get rid of those nasty, heavy bumpers anayway, just
>use the 74's).   Also the mounting for the transmission would probably
>be in a slightly different location (frame can be drilled).  The holes
>for the tranny mount are in a different location on the rails, moved
>farther back and closer together.  Also the radiator mounting may be
>slightly different.

> Other than that you can use the frame from a '74, you'll just have to
>do a little fabricating.  I guess it depends on how original or how
>much frabrication your willing to do. . .

Barry...

See my earlier message to Nolan on the changes made to the '74 frame
that might make it a direct swap for an '80.

Also....two weeks ago I replaced my original 3 rail tranny
with a later single rail type that came out of a '76 Spit.
The frame mounting holes were in the same location...pretty much
a bolt-in swap. <thank you very much for all the help, Robert Sykes!>

Changing the topic just a bit...can you offer any ideas on why my
freshly rebuilt <by me...opps!> single rail tranny might be
locking me outta first gear?

Most times it goes in smooth as butter...other times the lever
simply will not move forward into the gate.  Even with considerable
force.  There is no grinding sound. Does not matter whether or not the
engine is even running...same thing.

Tranny has new bearings, syncros, layshaft, shift bushings
thrustwashers etc.  All end float specs are as close to being
correct as I can measure.  Keep in mind...this is my *first*
transmission rebuild. :-)

Regards...
Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits