Re: Importing a TR2 to the US

To: bill@zuo.dec.com
Subject: Re: Importing a TR2 to the US
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:36:26 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 23 Jun 1997 bill@zuo.dec.com wrote:

> I'm moving to the US (from Switzerland) this year and I'm wondering
> what I need to do to import my '55 TR2. It's a RHD car.
> Do I need to do any conversion or emission tests ?

It would depend somewhat on which state you plan to locate yourself.
However, I suspect you would have very little trouble registering the car
here. Some states might require you to install a laminated windscreen if
the car doesn't have one, and you might want to install headlamps
appropriate for driving on the right (again, if the car doesn't already
have them). It is also possible that you might have to installed sealed
beam, "DOT (U.S. Department of Transportation) approved" headlamps.

Beyond that, the car shouldn't be a problem to register if all other
equipment is present and working. Emissions and safety standards really
didn't otherwise begin to affect most cars in the U.S. until the early- to
mid-1960s.

--Andy