Re: Pinto carb...again

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Pinto carb...again
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 06:57:00 -0700
>If there was a final word on if any pinto carburetor and manifold would
>fit a Spitfire engine, I never saw it.  So, is there one that would fit
>on a 1500?
Final word, yes and no.
The manifold would definately not fit, not any I've seen.  The carburetor
on the other hand will fit the after market manifold designed for the weber
downdraft.  The Pinto/Vega carburetors are made under lincence to Weber,
and are SIMILAR but not exactly the same as the Weber.  Air horns are
different as well as fuel take-offs.  The chokes are smaller in cross
section, and the mounting or position of the primary and secendary bores
are reversed.  In other words, if you put a Weber (for a Spitfire) and a
Pinto/Vega carb side by side, float bowls facing the same way, the bores,
pri/sec, would be reversed.  Weber by the way does make this carb in both
configurations.  It's preferable with these carbs to mount them with the
float bowl facing or towards the front of the car to prevent fuel
starvation during hard acceleration.

Barry Schwartz in San Diego,CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6 Spitfire ( T5, 5 speed's, almost done, maybe 2 more weeks!)
70 GT6+ (daily driver for now)
70 Spitfire (body repair on hold see above)