Re: transmission noises

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: transmission noises
From: Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 21:15:14 -0100
At 12:25 8-06-97 -0400, Ed Burger <eburger@sagelink.com> wrote:
>Hello all!  I finally got my Spitfire running, and was driving it around
>my block last night.  Everything seems fine except for a whining noise
>coming from the transmission.  It sounds like an old tired wrktruck
>does.... My dad thinks the synchronizers on the first gear (only gear it
>makes this noise) are going bad.  Also, the thing is impossible to
>downshift into first gear without grinding it.  Anything to worry
>about?  The transmission fluid is circa 1972 so I am going to change
>that today and see if it works any better.

You almost certainly have an original, 'early' gearbox, with
*unsynchronised* first gear. It behaves exactly like it should. What you do
is you come to a complete standstill before you downshift into first....

>The front end wobbles a little bit, similar to what would happen if the
>tires were unbalanced.  I did have the tires balanced at Pep Boys, so
>they could have not been balanced right.  Could it be something that
>could be cured with a little driving (the thing was sitting for about 20
>years).

Question: wires or steel wheels? Wires will wobble, especially if not
balanced right and steel wheels will wobble, especially if they're the
original Triumph Spitfire type.

Eric 'these cars are so predictable' Kieboom
The Netherlands
('77 Spit 1500, all synchro gearbox ;-)