Re: concerning the miata thread -Reply

To: DANMAS@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, eburger@sagelink.com
Subject: Re: concerning the miata thread -Reply
From: Terry Kay <TKay@wpmail.us.dynix.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 11:53:52 -0600
FWIW:
I own:
67 Datsun Roadster
72 Triumph Spitfire
90 VW Corrado
91 Miata (actaully girlfriends car)

Like everyone has pointed out, there are major differences between the
makes.
   The Corrado attracts alot of attention, and freaks people out that it is
"SO FAST FOR A VW" but then few know that it is supercharged.  But
there is a great VW following. I get and pull other VW owners over all the
time.
   The Datsun is not restored yet, but when Iwas running around in it, I
had all kinds of comments (of course some were just stupid, like "Wow,
thats a cool MGB" but anyway......  The roadster owners are really great
also, there just are not as many of them or resources like there is for the
Triumphs.
   The Triumph is a "NEW" car for me.  I have to say I am WAY impressed!
 Both with the other owners and this list, as well as the resources
available.  I can not wait to be up and running this summer!!  Thanks to all!
  Now for the dreaded MIATA.  THEY ARE FUN cars!! Provided that you
DRIVE them like they are supposed to be, TOP DOWN!!!!!  I really enjoy the
car.  There is however a major division between the owners. HALF are
similar to the triumph owners. (WAIT DON'T get mad, let me explain)
They will wave, flash lights, stop if they see another miata on the side of
the road, etc.  The other half are well.....mini van driver's that don't know
what they are in!  The two are most often easy to distinguish between.
The good/cool owners usually have the top down, and a HUGE smile on
their faces!!  The others, well.... top up, A/C on, and must have broken
arms, cause they NEVER way back!!!!
   As for the comments about "Never being an aftermarket as big as
Triumph"  Here I must disagree!  Actually the aftermarket is BIGGER then
Triumphs.  Yes there are companies that stuff ford engines in to the
cars, I don't know about 45 grand. There is a company in Calif. called
"MONSTER MIATA" that do Ford 5.0 turbo or supercharged miatas, that
adds 10 grand to the price (full suspension/brake/tranny upgrades, etc.)
There are TONS of on/off line resources, the bigges being MIATA.NET
Large numbers of companies make turbo/supercharges BOLT-ON kits for
the miata so that they fit with out MAJOR modifications.  The Miata Club
of America is the LARGEST owners group in North America (according
to Road and Track, and Sport Compact Car magazines.) The membership
a couple of years back was just of 600,000 cars(not just members, but
CARS!)  There is also a factory sponsered Miata race series, and the
cars to quite well in Auto-X.
Please don't kick me off the list ;)   I like the Miata, I LOVE my CORRADO
(don't even get me started on that one :)  my Datsun is cool, but
frustrating. And as for my Triumph..........A beautiful friendship was born
a month ago, and one that I will keep for a LONG time!!  It has more
STYLE then my miata, and gets more attention!!

TK