Re: TR3A wiper motor and drive cable

To: Angelo Graham <a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3A wiper motor and drive cable
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 07:25:16 -0700
At  7:57 AM 6/6/97 -0400, Angelo Graham wrote:
>Good morning listers:
>
>Trying to remove the wiper motor from the engine compartment to prepare for
>painting and thought that the drive cable just screwed into the motor.
>Little more complicated than I first noticed.  Anybody had recent
>experience with removing the motor/cable assembly?  Tried to get at the
>wiper drive boxes to remove the cable from the wiper end, but can't really
>see how the cable attaches.  Any hints?

Keep the wiper gear boxes on the cable.

1. You unhook the cable from the motor
2. You remove the wiper arms
3. You remove the nuts just below the wiper arms & remove the parts above
the scuttle.
4. You temove the complete assembly from the inside
Ummm It just occured to me that you may not be doing a complete
restoration.  I had the heater and instrument panel removed when I did
this.

The wiper gear is held onto the cable by a sheet metal clamshell.  There is
a screw in the middle holding the clamshell halves together.  Getting
everything back together again behind an instrument panel and wiring would
be difficult.

If you are just painting the car, I would leave the assy in the car. You
could disconnect everything, push the gear boxes below the scuttle, mask
the holes from the underside.  Remove the rubber grommet & mask the tube in
the engine compatment & paint around it.

BTW:
The wiper motor has bare metal end plates, and black crinkle sheet steel
center section.  The motor's gear box is tinned.  The pedistal is black
regardless of the body colour.  The is a universal assy added to the car
after it was painted.  The factory didn't want to deal with colour matching
or the stocking nightmare.

TeriAnn Wakeman            For personal mail, please start subject line
Santa Cruz California      with TW.  I belong to 4 high volume mail lists
twakeman@scruznet.com      and do not read a lot of threads..Thanks

A citizen of the internet community since 1986