TR6 tranny: synchro prob. in 2nd?

Subject: TR6 tranny: synchro prob. in 2nd?
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 08:27:43 -0400
Seems I have a potentially serious problem with my newly acquired 74 TR6.
Shift just fine and dandy except when trying to downshift into 2nd.
Sometimes goes right in, sometimes grinds.  I'm assuming this means
something wrong with the synchro for 2nd.

Does this spell impending doom for the whole box?  Is there a likelihood it
can just be cracked open and some of the guts replaced?  Is this going to
cost me LOTS and LOTS of money I don't have?  If I have to replace the
transmission, would it be unreasonable to try to replace it with an
overdrive unit?

Thanks for your answers.  I hope when I become more knowledgeable I can be
of service as well.

Ted Stevens
stevens@erols.com