Re: TR - Hostility toward Miatas: Many of us don't get it.

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net.wgcinet>
Subject: Re: TR - Hostility toward Miatas: Many of us don't get it.
From: "Tom Gentry "<TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 10:54:00 -0500
Bill Hooper wrote:
>>The 240Z owners didn't have the emotional & physical stamina to bond with a
>>GT6, so they got a creampuff that looked like one.
(snip)
>>A pseudo-sports car is desired by a pseudo-sensation-seeking individual:
>>It's a car which needs to be perceived as a sports car (but isn't), driven
>>by a person who needs to be perceived as a sensation-seeking individual
>>(but isn't).
(snip)
>>Ahem...wasn't the appearance of the Miata based on a Lotus, & didn't they
>>spend a lot of time "tuning" the exhaust to sound like an LBC?  Is anyone
>>who drives this car likely to slalom through the orange cones in a highway
>>construction zone?  Are we supposed to think they might?

Let's not confuse the car with the buyer.

I happen to like Datsun Zs.  Fast, comfortable (by my standards anyway),
and with good balance and feel.  The comfort factor lead to the wrong
people buying them, but they are very capable around the cones in the
right hands.

Miatas are OK cars, and if I owned one I'd drive it just as hard as I
drive everything else, and yes, the top would be down.  According to
what I have read, and my own brief experience with a Miata, Mazda spent
a lot of time getting not only the look and sound right, but also the
feel.  Take a look at SCCA records and you'll see that in showroom stock
they have been very successful.

Having said all that, I still prefer my TR-6.  It turns heads wherever I
go, and waxes Miatas, Zs, and the occasional 5.0 Pony car, plus, I can
actually work on it.  I know exactly what makes it tick.  When I get
complements on it's looks or speed I can honestly say, "Thanks, I did it
all myself".  That means a lot more to me than being able to write a
check.

BTW, until it's recent problem it was as reliable as any new car, didn't
leak in the rain, and even handled well in the snow.

Tom (I never thought I'd jump in on this side of the discussion) Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!  (so why am I driving a Dodge?)