Re: ammeter/voltmeter swap.

To: kerch@parc.xerox.com
Subject: Re: ammeter/voltmeter swap.
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:27:34 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: gpetrola@prairienet.org, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-06-02 22:07:21 EDT, kerch@parc.xerox.com (Berry
Kercheval) writes:

> > 5) connect the (+) lead to any convenient Green wire
>   > 6) connect the (-) lead to any convenient ground point.
>
>  Of course, if you have a car with positive earth reverse these
connections:
>  + goes to earth (or ground) and - goes to the freen (hot) wire.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on the internal wiring of the meter. If the (-)
lead is tied to the case ground, then reversing the connections will produce
a dead short from (+) to (-). Without knowing the meter involved, I can't say
for sure. Before making the connections as you say, make sure the case and/or
the ground lead are isolated from the (-) lead.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74