Re: Floor Pans

To: Kenneth Brown <kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov>
Subject: Re: Floor Pans
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 22:31:00 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Kenneth Brown wrote:

> Hi list members,
>
> A friend of mine who is doing the welding part of my floorboard replacement
>has
> suggested brazing the floors in. The system he wants to use has the flux flow
> through the gas and he states that it ideal for thin metals such as sheet
> metal. He is a very experienced welder/machinist having worked for several
> factory race teams including Accura and Jag, not to mention that he is a
> perfectionist. Anyone on the list have experience with this type of brazing or
> other recommendations?
>
> All comments welcomed and appreciated,
> Ken TR250, ex Flintstones mobile
------------------------
Ken don't let him do it with a torch! I've done panel replacement and
patching in the past with braze and its the least desirable method for
this.

My 71 frame off project  involved floors, rockers and the rocker end
caps. I borrowed a spot welder from work (like the one in Eastwood) and
spot welded all my joints. Looks like factory.

On my 74 I also have floors, inner and outer rockers and some minor
bulkhead repairs and I plan to either borrow the spot welder again or
plug weld with a Mig welder.

Replaced MGB inner rockers, outers, castle sections and the
reinforements. This is a big job on a "B" I did all the repairs by plug
welding with a mig welder.

In order of preference

1. Spot weld if possible
2. Plug weld with a Mig and continuous weld were necessary.

Glenn Franco

71 & 74 TR6's