Re: Leaking Carburetors - TR6

To: TSFORES@aol.com
Subject: Re: Leaking Carburetors - TR6
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 23:33:04 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
TSFORES@aol.com wrote:

> I recently purchased a 1974 TR6.  It is equipped with two Zenith-Stromberg
> 175 CD-2 carburetors.  Fuel is leaking from the connections on the
> carburetors.  The car has been stored for the past 8 years.  The car has
> 95,000 original miles.  What should be my procedure with the carburetors.
>  Should they be rebuilt, or just well cleaned and new fuel lines and vacuum
> hoses installed?  I was given a Haynes manual on the Triumph, but it only
> references the Stromberg 150CD carburetor.  Are the 175 CD-2 carburetors
> original equipment, and are the repair and maintenance the same as the 150CD?
>  If not, where can I get a manual on the 175 CD-2 carburetor?

The 175 carbs are original to the '74 engine.  Specifically, they should
be Zenith-Stromberg 175 CDSEVX carbs (3613R or L on small brass tags
mounted to carbs).  Haynes has an excellent tech manual (#10240)
covering the Weber, ZS, and SU carbs.  Well worth the $16.

In my opinion, based on similar recent experience, I would decide on
rebuild based on how the engine runs initially.  I would repair leaks at
the fittings and replace lines, then see if the car will run/drive with
some tweaking. I'll eventually rebuild mine, but for now, after a good
cleaning and tuning of the engine, I've got a solid driver.

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6 (driver)
1970 Spitfire Mk.3 (under the knife)