Re: Time to paint! Oh boy...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Time to paint! Oh boy...
From: jhdavis6@juno.com (James H. Davis, Jr.)
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 20:01:12 EDT
>>learned the hard (expensive) way that the factory knew that the body
>flex
>>is so great on these cars that cracks in the paint soon appear at the
>>seams if a sealer is used.

>Phew! That's what my bodyman reccomended. I told him about the other
>TR's I
>saw with cracked paint. He suggested it probably was filled with body
>filler but the flex in the sealer would resolve the problem.
>
>What do you suggest? Painting the fender, THEN installing it? Anybody
>out
>there with suggestions/experience?
>
>What's this I've been reading about a black rear valance? Mine is body
>color... I've seen TR's with black valances, I just thought it was a
>desperate attempt to cover the rust...

>Thanks!
>rick
After consulting with my body shop about the cracks in the seams, he
agreed sealing the seams after bolting up the fenders was a mistake.
The best way to paint the cars is to apply a thin  finish coat to hood,
trunk lid, doors,  fenders and body apart, then spray a final coat(s) to
the body with fenders installed. Of course seam sealer is applied
between the body and fenders prior to bolting up. A good  water tight
seal is especially important where the rear fenders join the rear valance
and inner fender at the tail light, as it can be a source of 'where the
hell does that water in my trunk come from every time it rains or I wash
my car'. You will notice on disassembly that the factory applied the
color with all components installed and the only paint between components
is a red oxide primer.
According to the original sales literature(view of a french blue '75 TR6
with trunk lid open) the semi-gloss black on the rear valance is applied
to the edge of 'inset' and to the edge of the trunk lid. The black paint
is applied along the top of the valance to the lip that the rubber seal
fits on. On either side, black goes across the valance to body seam and
up to the 'tip' of the top of each fender(about a 45* angle).
Hope this helps,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
'75 TR6  CF38690UO