Re: Mityvac vs. Eezybleed

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Mityvac vs. Eezybleed
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 12:18:45 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Philip E. Barnes wrote:

> I can recount my experience with the Mity-vac set-up. I found
> that it works very well as long as one does not slack off the
> bleed screw too much. Air tends to get sucked past the threads
> of the screw and it will take forever to get the system bled.

I agree fully with the above statement.  Air leaking in around
the bleed screws and/or bleed hose can make it difficult to tell
when the system is completely bled, as bubbles will appear in the
bleed hose being used, even though all the air may be out of the
brake system.  I just make sure to pump at least a few ounces
(half a container on the Mityvac) through each of the bleed
screws.

That said, I am very pleased with the Mityvac.  I use it to
bleed the brakes on my Taurus as well as my Triumphs.  It
makes bleeding the brakes or clutch a predictable one-person
task.  I also use the Mityvac to fill the transmission and
differential with gear oil, by reversing the hoses on the
canister and the vacuum pump.  Using the Mityvac in this way
to top off gear oil is a pretty slow process (nowhere near as
quick as using an oil pump) but it makes a minimal mess, and
I don't have an oil pump...

--ken
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers

--