making wire alternator operate the alternator light

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: making wire alternator operate the alternator light
From: "Jesse Mullan" <jmullan@doubt.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 15:36:24 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
In a message dated 97-05-27 14:38:13 EDT, mmason@lindenwood.edu (Mike
Mason)
writes:
> Several places advertise a single wire hook-up alternator.  Can this be
>  put on a TR6 and if so, what do you do with the other wires?  Does the
>  single wire setup eliminate the little red light?  Seems like that
would
>  be unwise.

If the alternator' power output is not directly hooked to the battery (if
it's before a power
regulator or something) you could put a diode in line with the alternator
light and hook it to the power output of the alternator so that it will
only allow flow from the battery to the alternator.  Thusly, if the battery
has a higher voltage than the alternator, (by at least 0.6 volts I think)
it would flow that way.  I think.

Just a thought.

Jesse Mullan
jmullan@doubt.com