Re: how to i.d.a GT6+ gearbox

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: how to i.d.a GT6+ gearbox
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 17:29:12 +0200
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, odd@triumphclub.se
In a comment to an earlier mail Andrew Mace wrote:
> Here is another example of how the U.S. models are "slighted"
> in so many reference works. KF is the series used for the U.S.
> version of the GT6 Mk.3 in Commission, Engine and Gearbox numbering.

As the KG prefix was for the Swedish market cars...
Sadly only ONE SINGLE KG-prefixed GT6 Mk3 was made: KG1064L and it
still exists. One can wonder why on earth S-T bothered to specify
a unique prefix for the Swedish Mk3's when only one was on order...

> I don't have all my books in front of me, but I don't believe
> the OD gearboxes were numbered separately.
> Exception: GT6 Mk.3 gearboxes with overdrive supposedly had a
> different ratio of reverse gear than the non-OD boxes, but I
> don't know if that corresponds to the difference between KE and
> KF gearboxes.

They weren't.
And there's nothing implicating a difference in gearing in the
spare parts catalogue... Might have been an undocumented feature?

/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,