Re: Nology "Hot Wires"

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Nology "Hot Wires"
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 00:47:28 -0400
Shane, et.al,

> For instance, they use W = P * t (though they present it as P = W / t)
> to explain that their short spark makes more power (small t). They
> musta skipped out on high school fizziks since that's the formula for
> the amount of power *required* to do work over time.  Bozos.

Actually, the physics is correct. If they can dump all of the energy
(the same thing as "Work") that's stored in the coil, into the
combustion chamber, in a shorter time, they are delivering a more
powerful spark. And, the spark temperature will be hotter. The real
issue, IMO, is whether this will produce better combustion. I have my
doubts (more on this below).

Their web page goes on to trash unnamed competitors who, they lead one
to believe, claim that a longer spark can be a more powerful spark. It
cannot - Power is the measure of the rate at which energy is delivered,
and delivering all the energy stored in the coil over a shorter period
of time IS by definition a more powerful spark, but this is a RED
HERRING. The text on their page seems to me to be trying to lead the
reader to equate spark power with engine power. They are not the same
thing!

The real issue is to get the maximum power from the air-fuel mixture.
It's not the spark that drives the piston down, it's the combustion
initiated by the spark! Their system, if it works as they claim, dumps
all the coil's energy almost instantaneously. After 4 nanoseconds, the
spark is GONE. Problem is, it takes thousands of times as long as this
for combustion to run its course, and there's incredible turbulence in
the combustion chamber, and without a sustained ignition source, any
fuel that is not ignited in the first flame front does not get another
chance. Is the combustion chamber in YOUR Triumph engine designed well
enough to assure complete combustion from a single flame front?
Personally, I'd like to have a continuing ignition source (a spark
that's hot enough to ignite gasoline) in there till all the fuel has
been burned.

Anybody up for a technical discussion of how ignition relates to
delivered power and torque? Off line, of course.

Just wanted to add my own .02 to the series of replies Shane posted from
his other list. Smells like bull... fertilizer to me!

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald GA41328LCV, in restoration
I want my car back!