Fwd: TR6 '74 & '74 1/2 cars

To: ingate@shiseis.com, becky_sforza@nmh.northfield.ma.us, flarsen@earthlink.net, streeter@sanders.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fwd: TR6 '74 & '74 1/2 cars
From: Carelallen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 22:31:59 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-20 14:59:14 EDT, ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F.
Ingate) writes:

<<A while ago, there was a thread on figuring out where the "cutoff"
 between 1974 and 1974 1/2 cars lie.  My car, CF25186UO, build date Aug 14,
 1974 (BMHT cert.), is a 1974 car (list of 1974 & 1974 1/2 cars attached
below). ...

So that makes the cutoff somewhere in between CF25186UO (mine) and
 CF27535U (Ken's).  Any more data on this Becky Sforza, Carel Allen and
 Flemming Larsen? ...

>From the earlier thread, typical changes from 1974 to 1974 1/2
 were the raised from bumper, indicator lamps moved below the front bumpers,
 indicator lamp colors changed to white & amber.  Another thread suggested
that
 the ignition keys became "two sided" in the 1974 1/2 models. ...  The other
interesting question is that all the references on TR6s say that o/drive
became standard in 1974, but I dont see that in  the commission numbers.
 Comments?>>

In a message dated 97-05-20 15:38:26 EDT, streeter@sanders.com (Ken Streeter)
writes:

<<  My 74.5 car, however, has the
 rear license plate lamps above the license plate (below the
 trunk latch) ...

 I think (from looking at lots of pictures) that the front bumper
 actually existed at three different heights, from lowest to highest:

        (1) the early cars
        (2) the late '74 cars w/overriders & indicators over
        (3) the 75/76 cars w/overriders, and indicators under

 My car would fall into category (2).

 I seem to recall reading the '75 cars had the front indicators below
 the bumper, but were just amber.  I thought that the US-spec cars
 didn't get the white/amber until '76. ...

For what it's worth, if I'm mistaken, and somebody finds all those overdrive
units that were standard on the TR6 from 1974 to 1976, but
 missed my car, send it my way, I can put it to good use...  >>

Here is the info on my car CF27463U:

1. Built in Aug 74 per door jamb plate (no BMHT cert but it must be very late
Aug in comaprision
    to Shane's 8/14 build date)
2. Rubber bumber overriders
3. Turn indicators under the bumper - clear on small outboard part, amber on
larger inboard part.
4. 2 sided ignition key
5. No overdrive (I'm with Ken I want mine back if they were standard. Hell,
even if they weren't
    standard I still want it)
6. License plate lights above plate (under latch)
7. P.O. modified with triple Webers and removed all carb related emission
hardware so I don't
    know if my car had the thermostatic vacuum valve in the radiator hose.
(I'm not sure if this
    is relavant to this thread)

OK, now I am confused. I had been calling my car a 74. Should I have been
calling it a 74 1/2? How does one know?  My Michigan title merely says 1974.
Based on Ken's bumper categories mine is a #3 (his is a #2 but my Comm # is
before his by 72 cars) and should be perhaps a 1975. Hmmm. Interesting
questions but all I really just want is the "standard" overdrive. I'm on the
digest so e-mail me direct (thanks Shane & Ken) if anyone needs more info
from me.

Cheers

Carel Allen
Ann Arbor, Michigan

---------------------
        Many thanks to Chris Bullock for assembling the TR6 list.

        A while ago, there was a thread on figuring out where the "cutoff"
between 1974 and 1974 1/2 cars lie.  My car, CF25186UO, build date Aug 14,
1974 (BMHT cert.), is a 1974 car (list of 1974 & 1974 1/2 cars attached
below).

        Ken Streeter, If I remember that thread correctly, yours was a
1974 1/2?

        So that makes the cutoff somewhere in between CF25186UO (mine) and
CF27535U (Ken's).  Any more data on this Becky Sforza, Carel Allen and
Flemming Larsen?

        From the earlier thread, typical changes from 1974 to 1974 1/2
were the raised from bumper, indicator lamps moved below the front bumpers,
indicator lamp colors changed to white & amber.  Another thread suggested
that
the ignition keys became "two sided" in the 1974 1/2 models.

        The other interesting question is that all the references on
TR6s say that o/drive became standard in 1974, but I dont see that in
the commission numbers.  Comments?

        Finally, Pouya Arya (pxa5@pge.com) suggested a while back that
1974 cars were relatively "rare".  It seems from this list that the
1974 1/2 cars are the "rare" cars.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego

1974 Comm #             Owner
-----------------------------