Re: Horror Story (Large Content)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (Return requested), Peter Mchugh <Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov>
Subject: Re: Horror Story (Large Content)
From: Terry Thompson <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 10:41:05 -0400
You've probably seen it.  It's over at Motorhead currently (the last guys
that worked on it).  It's a '76 with MD tags "THE SPIT" (Though I seemed
to have misplaced the "S" as it more appropriately is "THE PITS". The
body is in excellent shape.  Only some surface rust on the edge of the
bonnet (where it meets the body of the car).  And a little (even less)
around the running boards.   I've been meaning to  de-rustify those few
spots, but I haven't had the car for longer than a 24 hour period in over
a month and a half.  The interior is completely shot (except for the new
cover I put on the dash).

Jeff (one of the Mechanics at Motorhead that worked on my car).  Said
we'd work something out so that I don't sell it off or use it for scrap
parts (With my hot irish temper, the british car is lucky it doesn't already
have a large sledge hammer imbedded in the bonnet.)

But, I understand that LBC's need love and affection.  I don't need to
tell you guys (and gals), that they're not the modern day car which is a
"vehicle" which people use and abuse.  All LBC's have their own quirky
personalities.  They need love and devotion to keep them happy.  (I know
this sounds totally insane and I should probably seek some psycho-
therapy for saying it, but when I drove my LBC.  I had this "feeling"
that the car loved being driven around as much as I loved driving it. I'll
go put my straight jacket on now.)

As for working on the car myself, my plans were to keep delving out
my vast fortune on the car in perpetuity.  When I got the car, I had lots
of disposable income.  My job gives me little or no free time to indulge
in any hobbies, but I plan on changing that little factor (when I found
out that I'm not only the imposed upon of employees in the dept. but also
the least paid by several thousand dollars a year.)  I fully had
the intent on someday learning about car repair (I have the general idea
of how an engine works, but I couldn't tell you what a crank shaft or a
cam shaft are or what the difference is.)  I worked in a hardware store
for 5 years (and have general tool knowledge) and a large collection of
tools (too many to even consider listing).

Right now I have several road blocks causing my reluctancy in spending
any more money on "the pits".   One is: I just moved into a new place &
now have less money to burn.   Another problem is my fiance' has other
plans for my money (she's hated my little british crap...I mean car since
the first time she saw it. She wants a VW Karmman Ghia - GAG.)
For the moment, I'm divided two ways on keeping the car (for as much
as I love that style and personality of that LBC, all of my friends,
family and fiance continuosly tell me to ditch it.)

Right now, I need to go tune-up my new vehicle..... an '89 Schwinn.  : )

-Terry (No working LBC)