Re: TR6 Progress

To: "Scott W. Paisley" <scotty@csn.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Progress
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 16:58:10 +0100
Cc: sugar@holly.colostate.edu, KC3565L@sprintmail.com, tgman@ix.netcom.com, southern@ucar.edu, chris@zing.ncsl.nist.gov, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Scott W. Paisley wrote:(snip)

> Oil pressure is great on startup.  It's between 80-100 lbs.  However,
> after it warms up, I get a very low reading, below 25 lbs.

> For the record, I used cheap Mobil 10W30 oil, non syn.  Could the
> oil be so cheap that it would do this under high heat?
>
> Any ideas, comments, suggestions, or sleep technique - welcomed.
>
> -Scotty
>  '75 TR6
Scotty: you've answered your own question! Get the 10w30 out of the car,
and put in 20W50. Your oil pressure problem will be solved! The thinner
oil is for todays modern engines, which have much tighter tolerances.
Once the 10w30 warms up, it's viscosity is to low for the more generous
bearing clearnaces in the Triumph. The TR engine is clearanced more like
a 1950's design, which is why the manual calls for the heavier oil.