Re: TR-4 Questions

To: "Triumph" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, <token1@ridgecrest.ca.us>
Subject: Re: TR-4 Questions
From: "Don Sforza" <dsforza@megahits.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 13:13:17 -0400
Hope this helps...

----------
> From: token1@ridgecrest.ca.us
> To: Dsforza
> Subject: TR-4 Questions
> Date: May 16, 1997 11:09 AM
>
>   The list had a bunch of good answers to my Spit questions, and I thank all
> who responded.  Now for the next batch of queries.
>
>   One of my '62 TR-4s will be going down for a frame-off restoration shortly,
> and I have a couple of questions on originality.  The goal for this one is a
> 100 point car, the other TR-4 (later number) will be the every day driver.
>
> 1.  Should the metal dashboard be body color or white (I have one of each
> currently).

White... that was original on all TR4's w/o wood dashes.

> 2.  Frame color (again), is the frame supposed to be black, or body color,
> or (like the Spit) body color over black?

Black (or oily).

> 3.  Is it true that the very early 1962 TR-4s used chrome over brass trim at
> the top of the windscreen frame and around the cockpit?  If this is true, is
> there a source for these pieces of trim?  Both of my '62s have aluminum on
> the top of the windscreen and one is a Surrey Top, but the other also has
> aluminum around the back of the cockpit.

The chrome plated brass is very rare and only appeared on the very earliest of
cars... the rest are  the pitted, anodized aluminium.

> 4.  Is there a good source of reference for this type of information?  If
> there is I would certainly like to add it to my stack.

The best source is this list and the knowledge and experience of the TR4
owners.

>   Well, thats all the questions for now, but I am sure there will be many
> others in the future, at least if my current limited knowledge is a
benchmark.

>   Thanks to all.
>
>   Later,
>
> Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
> email: token@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us
>    or: darrell_leach-mti@echo.chinalake.navy.mil
> 1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)   Every Day
> 1962 TR-4 (CT13108L)
> 1965 Spitfire Mk.II
> 1967 Spitfire Mk.III  (In work, lots of 1500 stuff)
> 1984 GL1200A GoldWing  (The other everyday transportation)

Best of luck...

"And to think, it all started with a tractor!"

Don Sforza           dsforza@megahits.com                  KA1WV
1963 TR4        Connecticut Triumph Register             CT16707L (White dash
                                    and black and oily frame)