Re: Carlisle trip/ rusty Italia

To: triumph@uriel.net
Subject: Re: Carlisle trip/ rusty Italia
From: lgmiceli@juno.com (Lawrence G Miceli)
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 08:57:18 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 14 May 1997 09:36:39 +0900 Chad Jester <triumph@uriel.net>
writes:
>Hey List,
>
>I have a New Baby Boy!!!!!
>
>Austin Thomas Jester
>
>Born 5/13/97 at 0754.  He was born at Samsung Hospital in Seoul,
>Korea.>He and mother are doing great.
>Chad (Proud Dad) Jester
>Seoul, Korea

Congratulations from everyone in the GCTC! Glad that all that spicy
korean food and rotten cabbage didn't complicate things.

I looked for a Vitesse in Carlisle, but alas, none were to be had. I did
talk with Scott Harper of Team Triumph and Tom (I don't remember his last
name) from British Miles, and asked them to keep an eye open for one for
you, as they buy lots of "junk" LBCs.

The trip to Ohio was a complete waste of time. The Italia had rusted
rockers, no inner fenders, wrong tail lights, wrong bumpers, missing
interior trim, broken rear frame mounts and an improperly welded frame
where it looked like the whole right side steering assy had broken off.
Phil offered the owner enough money to buy most restored TR6s, but the
owner RAISED HIS PRICE $5,000 when we got there. Now,  I know that
Italias are rare, but 15K for a car that needs 25K in restoration is way
too much. He said that another Italia owner, who had never seen the car,
told him it was worth that much. Too bad, as it lost the sale for him,
cost Phil $400 in a one way ticket and made the trip back from Carlisle
take an extra day.  You can imagine the tone of the 1200 mile trip home
after dealing with that guy! Some people confuse rare with valuable to
the point that the car will never get restored. I hope the owner and his
Italia live happily ever after, because for that price he's going to have
it for a very long time.

There was, however, a very nice Italia at the Carlisle show.
I'll send more about the trip in the newsletter.

Larry Miceli
'76 TR6
'73 Stag
'66 Herald