Re: Battery and generator problems/solutions

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Battery and generator problems/solutions
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 10:42:12 +0600 (EDT)
On Tue, 13 May 1997, Brian N. wrote:

> Mark T and All
>
> Spit battery size and mounting is very critical.  Had similar experience
> with terminals shorting on hood frame.  Especially happens if battery
> hold downs are missing or not tight.  Watch that choke cable also....

Whoa, flashback! Been there, done that, got the scars!

Had that happen to me circa 1976, while I was still sorting out my newly
acquired 1970 GT6+ after its time with the DPO (car at that point still
had A70x13 Bias Ply Wide Oval Firestones on it -- not optimal even then).
The cockpit filled with smoke while I was motoring along a city street
near a USN Reserve Training Center. I stopped the car, flung open the
bonnet and somehow managed to disconnect the "earth" lead (Lucas
helmet-type, but no hold-down screw -- fortunately!) and pull the burning
choke cable off the other terminal and case just as a Reserve Officer came
running out with a fire extinguisher. Go, NAVY! ;-)

Amazingly, damage was limited to one VERY fried choke cable (those dual
cables were really expensive even then) and a nice little "canal" melted
across the top of the DieHard, which, along with the rest of the car,
continued to function unfazed by the experience. But for several cool
mornings until I could afford a new choke cable, it was difficult to start
the car in the mornings!

Sometimes, the difference between "front" and "rear" terminal batteries is
the key to safety here, as well as a good cover for that hot terminal!

--Andy