Re: TR6 Diff Pinion gear

To: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Diff Pinion gear
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 23:12:56 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
DUHART JOHN wrote:

> (This is a resend since I don't think the first message got out)
>
> Hey All,
>
>         Well I almost ruined my diff this weekend, but luck seemed to be on my
> side.
>
>         Anyway I have a question.  I'm trying to replace the seals on the
>diff.
>
> How does one go about pulling the pinion gear out to get to the seal?
> Does the innards of the diff need to be removed.  The Bentley manual
> makes it look like youshould be able to pull the pinion gear out the
> front of the diff (i.e. I'm calling the 'front' the end that is points
> towards the engine when the diff is installed).  There is a metal
> lip/ring there that seems to be part of the diff casing.  Is this
> correct?
>
>         I don't want to remove the innards of the diff because I don't have
>the
> correct tools, and I don't think I can reassemble it properly.  Please
> tell be there is a way to do this.
>
> Thanks,
> JHD IV
-----------------------

RELAX JOHN!
You don't need to pull the diff pinion at all to replace the seal. Just
remove the safety wire from the companion flange and remove the nut,
washer and flange (these usually come off easy). Pry (gently) out the
seal with a large screwdriver or hooked seal puller.

Clean out the cavity, check for debri left in and around the washer and
bearing. Drive the new seal home using a suitable socket or flat stock
with a hole in  it to accept the pinion shaft.

Done many this way and they leak just the same as if I took it all
apart. I just don't have much faith in the felt seal. Oh make sure its
soaked in oil for at least six months before its used.

If your really nervous about all this you can check pinion bearing
preload with the diff case and ring gear removed. Your best bet is to
just retorque using the highest setting on your 1/2" impact wrench.

Email me if you have any questions.

Just put a locker in my 70 diff replaced all the seals and all is good.

Glenn Franco

71 & 74 TR6's (the 74 has and early 70 complete powertrain)

P.S. if you have any intentions on replacing the diff axle seals. Seek
the assistance of a 25-50 ton press.