RE: HELP! I can't change gears on my TR6

To: "'caz@net1.nw.com.au'" <caz@net1.nw.com.au>
Subject: RE: HELP! I can't change gears on my TR6
From: "M. V. Morelli" <morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 11:06:59 -0600
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Chris,

I too have experienced this problem.  Here are some issues I've dealt with:

1)  Assuming the fluid level is correct, the system is properly bled, and there
are no leaks.

2)  Measure the lateral movement of the slave cylinder push rod as a function
of full pedal movement.  This should be about 5/8 of an inch.  Note that the
slave cylinder push rod should be in the center hole of the clutch shaft.

If the travel is not ~ 5/8 " then:

3)  Inspect the hole in the pedal into which the master cylinder push rode
connects.  If this is ovalled out then it is likely that you are not developing
enough travel at the input to the hydraulic system.  For this case you have two
or 2) fashion an adjustable master cylinder push rod.  I have implemented the
latter with much success.

4)  Check the condition of the plastic hose segment (between master and slave
cylinders).  I have heard of this expanding under certain conditions (namely a
cheap replacement part which has weakened with age and heat).  This can be
measured with a micrometer as you depress the clutch, but if you suspect this
hose it is easier to just replace it.

5)  Make sure both the master and slave cylinders are working properly (may
need to dismantle them to check the conditions of the rubber, piston, and bore.

At this point you have either found a problem which has returned you travel to
~5/8 " or had sufficient travel to start with.  The problem is inside the
clutch.

6)  Check for a broken taper pin. -- replace

7)  Check for excessively worn clutch fork pins.  -- replace

8)  Check for excessive wear on the contact surface of the release bearing.  --
replace

9)  Check for an excessively worn groove into the finger springs of the
pressure plate (the point at which the release bearing makes contact) --
replace entire clutch

10)  Check thickness of the drive disk ( I have experienced fraying of
disintegration causing the disk to "swell" -- lesson learned is not to buy
cheap clutch parts! )  -- replace entire clutch

At this point you have either found the problem or your really frustrated.

11)  Check for excessive crank shaft end float.  -- see thread on thrust
washers

Hope this helps.  I think the most likely problems are 1) the ovalled hole in
the pedal, or 2) generally worn clutch parts (release bearing/pressure
plate/driven disk).

Mike Morelli
76 TR6 (daily driver)
Houston, TX