Re: REAR STEER

To: triumph listserv <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: REAR STEER
From: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 15:30:28 -0500
Dave Terrick wrote:

  For all following the thread on "rear steering TR6's"... please read
  on...
  valuable "cents" to be dropped...

  NO THE RWD CARD DO NOT EXHIBIT THIS BEHAVIOR AS A RULE.  WHAT WOULD
  RALPH
  NADER HAVE SAID?!?!?!

  I have raced many difference forms of vehicle,  cars included a full
  race
  240Z,  ITA RX7,  my TR6, Tr4A, and many others.  I will suggest that
  the
  problems lie not in the rear suspension but THE FRONT SUSPENSION

  Think of it for a moment.  Which end has steering control?  Which
  end is
  more heavily loaded under decelleration or braking (or anytime)?
  Which end
  is most likely to wear out?

  I suspect the problem is as follows...

  1.  forward momentum under decelleration tries to push the body
  forward on
  the chassis.  Since the brakes are hooked on the "outboard end" of
  the
  frame via
    i)wheel bearings
   ii) trunnions with nylon seals infrequently inspected
  iii) lower inner bushings made of some gooey rubber, long overdue
  for
  replacement
  iv) all mounted to chassis brackets known for failure
  v)  all directionally located by tie rods which   wear out
  vi) Are sensitive to camber settings affected by rubber bushings on
  the
  upper control arm known for 10K lifespan at best.
  vii) have ball joints which likely have not been inspected lately
  and are
  likely loose

  All or any of the above weaknesses will cause the weaker side of the

  suspension to change more than the other.  This imbalance will cause
  the
  directional instability...  the weaker side toes in more and pushes
  the car
  to the "good" side.

  The rear suspension is less sensitive since there are only 4
  bushings to
  worry about (unless, of course the frame is of the rust colored
  variety).
  Deceleration REDUCES rear end load so logically, rear steer should
  be more
  of a problem on ACCELERATING...

  Here,  the chassis tries to stay in place against the torque of the
  engine.
   This would cause some toe IN, but not likely enough to worry
  about.  After
  all, that' s what that round thing you hold on to is for... and, if
  those
  bushings wer so worn out as to cause problems, there would likely
  also be a
  great deal of negative camber alerting you to the problem already.

  ...so endeth the lesson.. hope this clears up a point or two.

  Dave Terrick

 Thanks for the lesson Dave. I will inspect my front end this weekend. I
suspect my tie rods. Since I have recently rebushed the front end and
changed the ball joints.

--
Roger Helman
71 TR6 CC67866L