[Fwd: Re: Spit Wheel Bearing Caps]

To: Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Spit Wheel Bearing Caps]
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 11:21:43 -0700
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 11:21:15 -0700
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
To: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Subject: Re: Spit Wheel Bearing Caps

Vic Whitmore wrote:

> I needed to re-grease the wheel bearings on my 76 Spitfire but had a
> b***h of a time getting the caps off. That  nice little hole to take a
> screw just kept getting bigger and bigger as I tried different screws
> that would just strip the hole larger. I finally got real p****d off and
> wacked it off with a screw driver and hammer, totally destroying it. But
> I got to the bearing!
> There must be a better way. Now I need to find a new cap and want to do
> the other side as well.
> Suggestions anyone?
>
> New-to-Spits-Vic

Here's a suggestion that I've been meaningto try, but haven't... so
perhaps you can forge ahead and give it a try....  What about those
threaded inserts that can be sort of pop-riveted in...  (I've seen them
at OSH... where you can just by a few inserts and a little hand-tool to
install them)   My thought was that these could be installed on each
cap... and then when you want to remove them... you could put the
appropriate bolt through a dent puller and screw it on the cap...
What do you think?  Anyone want to be the ground-breaker?