Re: Spit carbon canister

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, aloder@websgi.icomnet.com (Paul Nelson)
Subject: Re: Spit carbon canister
From: muntsb@HiWAAY.net (Bill Munts)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 97 17:16:37 GMT
On 4/28/97 11:08AM, in message <3364CB67.7DFA@mail.icomnet.com>, Paul Nelson
<aloder@websgi.icomnet.com> wrote:

> My 76 Spit exhaust is really, really rich. Deathly rich to be more
> accurate. The book(Haynes)says if the carb is adjusted right then the
> carbon canister is bad or blocked. The ZS 150 is not too far off, so
> does anyone know a specific way to test the canister? Also can it be
> serviced or must it be replaced? Also the hose coming from the run-on
> control valve is plugged and the intake manifold part is crimped and
> sealed. Many thanks in advance.
>       Paul Nelson

Hi Paul

I recently went exploring in the carbon canister of my '70 Mk3 Spit.  My
canister seemed to be plugged so I looked up the price for a new one in VB.
After I got over the shock of the price I decided to have a look.  The canister
is really nothing more than a bunch of carbon pellets packed between two pieces
of screen and filter material (I think there was also a spring but I can't
remember).  The top and bottom screens were packed solid with solidified muck
(technical term).  I opened the canister and removed the top filter and screen
then I dumped the works in a bucket.  I made new pieces of screen and washed
the filter pieces in simple green.  I removed all of the lumps and stuff from
the carbon and then put everything back together.  I know that the carbon may
be spent but the canister is working just fine.  Before I cleaned it the garage
always smelled like gas but not since the cleaning.

Good luck

Bill M.
'70 Mk3 Spitfire