RE: Group diagnosis needed

To: "bkgallry@crl.com" <bkgallry@crl.com> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Group diagnosis needed
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 25 Apr 1997 09:20:51 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 089323360D9E3046-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 25 Apr 1997 09:20:51 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 25 Apr 1997 09:20:51 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <089323360D9E3046*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Erik wrote:
Baby ( '77 spit 1500) is ill.
Symptoms: Intermitent lurching and loss of power( as though it were running
out of gas). This seems to occur only when its been driven for longer than
30 mins. Its happened only sporatically since the first time 2 weeks ago,
mainly because I haven't driven it for longer than 15 - 20 minutes at a
stretch.  Changed plugs and fuel filter. Today, took a fairly robust
freeway drive. All went well until we got off the freeway and into stop and
go street traffic. Then the lurching /power loss really kicked in. Strange
thing is...when the lurching/power loss occurrs, THE TACH GOES CRAZY AND
THEN DIES. Needle is at 0 even though engine is running ( alebit lurching
with above mentioned no gas type sputter). The tach returns to normal after
the "seizure" is over. Managed to get back on freeway headed home. No
problem at all on freeway ( isn't that weird?), but once off it, the funny
stuff started again. Managed to get it home where we wait for the group
diagnosis.
Erik-

One other possible area to investigate is vapor lock.  During high speed
highway runs cooling air in theory would lower underbonnet temps. enough to
loosen up the vapor lock, but once in traffic heats up again.  Probably NOT
the problem due to the electrical glitch you also mentioned, but worth
considering if the electronic ignition unit checks out okay.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe