Re: TR-3A - Question about painting wheels, airfilters, etc.

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.zNET.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net, resinext@aol.com, resinx@aol.com, DHoemberg@aol.com, 3030p@vm1.cc.nps.navy.mil, oggman2@aol.com, barry.bassola@us.landisgyr.com, dave.biagini@us.landisgyr.com
Subject: Re: TR-3A - Question about painting wheels, airfilters, etc.
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 06:58:25 -0700
At 10:50 PM 4/23/97 -0700, John Cowan wrote:
>    I am going to paint my TR-3A's solid wheels with Moss's silver/grey
>spray paint, and the air filters and oil filler cap with flat black
>Rustoleum.  Any suggestion on how to clean these items up; i.e., is it
>better to use chemical paint removers or wire brush and steel wool?
>   Thanks.
>John

I would have them sand blasted, then treat with a phosphoric acid pre-paint
solution then paint.  I WOULD NOT USE RUSTOLIUM flat black.  First the
colour is too flat.  Eastman Co has the correct shade of semi flat black.
Rustolium paint surface hardens fairly quickly, but it takes several months
to fully cure.  During that time the paint chips very easily.  I used it on
the insturment panel frame on my Land Rover.  It chipped like mad for the
first few months then stopped chipping.

I'd get an Eastman catalogue & order the corect paint.

TeriAnn Wakeman            For personal mail, please start subject line
Santa Cruz California      with TW.  I belong to 4 high volume mail lists
twakeman@scruznet.com      and do not read a lot of threads..Thanks

Medium & large format photography, 1960 Land Rover 109,  1961 Triumph TR3A