Re: Sports coil/The Gathering

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sports coil/The Gathering
From: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 00:06:21 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Well, I'm real confused now. For a '72 TR6, do I remove the wire or
add another wire? And where is this resistor. It doesn't seem to be>noted on
my Bentley's. The (D)PO painted all the wires black at the fuse
box, so is there another way to find the "white wire". What should I gap
the plugs?

                        Thanks,
                        Jeff N.

>>Bill:
>>
>>There has been a lot of learning going on since this thread was first
>>started! The Lucas sports coil is rated, if I am not mistaken, at 40,000
>>volts output, compared to about 20,000 for the stock coil. With the ballast
>>resister, though, you are only getting approximately 20,000 volts, the same
>>as your stocker. Thus, the car runs as it always did, which was pretty good.
>>In other words, you are not getting the extra power you paid for! (I am only
>>guessing at the actual output voltage, but it will be considerably less than
>>the 40,000 volts).
>>
>>If it runs OK, I wouldn't change anything (there is definately no harm being
>>done). However, if you would like to have the extra spark you paid for, just
>>add an additional wire, connecting the + lead of the coil to the white wire
>>at the fuse box, while leaving the wires that are already there in place.
>>Keep in mind that the spark plugs will need to be gapped for what ever
>>voltage you wind up actually using. The gap is wider for the higher voltage.
>>
>>I guess this just goes to show that for normal street driving, things are not
>>as critical as we might think.
>>
>>Dan Masters,
>>Alcoa, TN

Jeff C. Nathanson
Director of Product Development
Manufacturing Systems & Technologies, Inc.