Converting to Negative Ground

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Converting to Negative Ground
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 21:10:55 -0400
Greetings Scions:

Yes, I have another question on a subject that has been covered.

The car is the just awakened TR3B.

I took apart my generator as it was not putting out an power. The
brushes were pretty much stuck in their keepers and not exerting any
pressure on the commutator. Cleaned everything up, put the generator
back in the car. Knowing I will be going the electric fan route, (and
most probably a stereo) I wanted to convert to negative ground.

I followed _most_ of the directions on the VTR web site. I switched the
battery connections, ran a temporary wire from the hot and touched the
small terminal on the generator for a few seconds. (Really nice sparks!)
Knowing the ammeter will be fixed when the center dash panel comes out
to be painted, I ignored that part.

I turned the key, pulled the choke and hit the starter button. It fired
up willingly, and started charging after I looked at the regulator
relays and manually tapped the contacts a few times. I am happy.

Well, I realize now I forgot to swap the wires on the coil. I go back to
the shop and switch the wires. Car still runs, still charging.

So, isn't the coil polarized as well? Why did it run with the hot and
distributor wires hooked up either way?
--
| Henry Frye                          E-mail thefryes@iconn.net |