FW: Help - TR3/4 TRanny removal

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Help - TR3/4 TRanny removal
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:14:24 -0600 (MDT)
Aproved: Get.Real
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:  Admin request: /^subject:\s*help\b/i]

     Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 21:31:47 EDT
     From: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
     Subject: Help - TR3/4 TRanny removal

After hearing estimated of 10 hours shop of labor to remove the tranny
and replace my rear main shells, I decide to bite the bullet and pull the
tranny myself, instead of farming it out, so I have a few questions.  As
you may recall I have a TR4 tranny in my TR3 and can't change the rear
main without pulling the flywheel/gearbox away from the engine. (This is
because the flat faced flywheel of the TR4 does not allow the bottom of
the mechanical oil seal to be manipulated ot of the engine like the
concave flywheel of the TR3)  Technically, this looks pretty simple, but
my manuals (Haynes&TR2 Service manual) seem to indicate that the gearbox
comes out leaving the clutch and flywheel.  Is this right and what lies
ahead for me in removing them.

Also, assuming my clutch is in less than excellent condition (most
likely) it should be replaced as long as I am in there, so how difficult
is it to replace the clutch/pressure plate/ throwout bearing.

Basically, I AM LOOKING FOR SOME HELPFUL HINTS and reassurances that I am
not getting in over my head.  The list helped me get started on the
bottom end, and that turned out to be almost a piece of cake.  Please
tell me tranny/flywheel removal/replacement will be as easy.

Thanks in advance.

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, New Jersey
1960 TR3-A TS69032L