timing spit 1500 engine

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: timing spit 1500 engine
From: "Brent Martin" <b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 14:04:20 -0700 (PDT)
well, I'm reassembling my spit 1500 engine and have run into a question that
hopefully someone can answer for me. I need confirmation that I've got the
crank-cam shaft timing right. The machine shop said I needed a reground
camshaft and got one for me. This camshaft does not have the mark "visible
through one of the unused bolt holes in the cam sprocket" - for those of you
intimately familiar with the Bentley re-installation directions. I have
access to a blown 1500 engine whose camshaft has not been removed and I set
my new cam to look like that one; which is:

when the crankshaft keyway is at 12:00 and the timing scratch on the crank
sprocket is at about 1:00 and aligned with the timing scratch on the front
plate, the timing scratch on the cam sprocket is lined up with those. The
number 1 and 2 cam lobes are on the upper half of the cam rotation (at say
11 and 1 o'clock)  <- this is the question part. (i.e. where should the #1
and 2 cam lobes be when all these timing marks are lined up?)

thanks, brent