6cyl in a TR4

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 6cyl in a TR4
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 11:00:00 -0500
For those listers following the discussion of a 6 cly '4 (joined in
progress)there are a few things that must be done, but the fender notch
isn't one of them.  I have a '65 IRS car that has a TR 250 frame underneath.

>From memory (it's been years since I've worked on it, it's awaiting a frame
off - anyone got rear fenders?) the only chassis changes were moving the
rack and cross brace forward to make room for the extra 2 pots!  I had to
machine a 3" (or so) fan extension to clear the new location of the cross
brace and rack.  On this basis, I don't think a '6 will fit well, if at all.

>From many dealings w/ TR6 manifols I conclude that the SHORT STYLE manifold
per TR 250 and pre '71 TR6 will fit.  There is a small indent in my TR4A
inner fender as per TR 250 (were they thinking back then?).  You may note
that the later cars' air cleaner sits almost against the fender but the
early cars don't.  I suspect this has something to do with the PI cars air
box and/or long manifold for the rest of the world syndrome...we had to wait.

Keep thinking!  And a Rover 3.5 is shorter and lighter than a '6 motor!

Dave Terrick