Re: Spitfire engine

To: Alan Storey <astorey@freya.berry.edu>
Subject: Re: Spitfire engine
From: bill nichol <bnicho19@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 12:27:34 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Alan Storey wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I have a  '71 Spitfire parts car with an engine that will not
> turn.  This car has been outside for years, and  I believe the
> problem is rust.   The engine is still in the car, but I removed the
> head from the engine.  It came off without too much trouble.  The
> upper parts of the cylinders look good, but I suppose the rings are
> rusted to the cylinders.  Is this engine worth working with at all?
> If so, what should I do?  I would like to get a rebuildable engine
> out of this if possible.  Thanks in advance for any advice you
> can offer.
>
> Alan Storey
> Rome, Ga. USA
> '65 Spitfire
> '79 Spitfire
> '71 Spitfire parts car
Alan,
I've had similar circumstances. Load down the cylinders with "Marvel
Mystery Oil" keep covered, leave several days. When you come back start
by applying mediumm force to the crank, go gradually and increase force,
working back and forth until the pistons come free or you feel the force
is becoming unreasonable. Repeat if unsuccessful until the desired
result is achieved. I have been very successful in this manor. Sometimes
with no scoring at all.
Bill
78Spit
80Wedge(undergoing continental conversion)