Re: TR4 wiper arms

To: clayts@vegasnet.net, fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us
Subject: Re: TR4 wiper arms
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 17:56:05 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> I recently ordered a wiper arm for my 62 TR4 from TRF - I got a crooked
>  (approx 40 deg) from TRF that looked like what PO had on one side - but
>  shorter...
>
>  Then to finish car out - I was placing an order with Moss - and got a
>  STRAIGHT wiper arm for the other side!
>
>  Can anyone tell me what is supposed to be original??  I personally prefer
>  the straight one from Moss - looks like it ought to be the original design
>  at least.  The other difference - the crooked one from TRF has a screw at
>  bottom whereas one from Moss does not...
>
>  Thanks,
>  TIm

Tim, you need to get some books on Triumphs.  Having said that -- the TR4
wiper arms are different.  One is straight and the other bent.  The reason
for the bent one is the location of the scuttle vent, (also known as the air
vent to us yanks).  If the vent is open one of the arms, if both were
straight, would bang on it and do paint damage as well as not cleaning the
windscreen.  The one which you got from TRF, the bent one, is for the
passenger's side.  The other is for the driver's side. (That's for a left
hand drive car.)  If you look in the Moss catalogue you will see 3types
listed.  Sounds as if you got the TR3 "collet mount" type.  Check your
shipping document for the part nuumber.  You want the Left hand wiper
(straight, push-on)) for a TR4.  See if the wipers are the same from both
companies.  Then if they are exchange the Moss one.  If the two you have are
different contruction or material then return one and make a set from either
Moss or TRF.

Look at the mountings onto which the arms fit.  The TR4 arms have no screws
or nuts on the arm itself - there is merely a splined hole with a spring clip
inside.  You push down onto the mount (part of the wheelbox assembly) to
install and pry up to remove the arms.  Cheers

Art Kelly  '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant