Transporting a TR3

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Transporting a TR3
From: c394829@is6.mdc.com (Kurt Oblinger)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 97 8:24:35 PST
Here in the Peoples Republic Of California, if a vehicle
turns a wheel on a public roadway, it must be registered.
If it is transported in a trailer it does not. There is a
trick question they always ask you when you go to register
a car that has expired registration (i.e. basketcase).
The DMV (or Auto Club) officials will ask you how you got
the car home. If you answer anything other than trailer
or flatbed transporter, you will be hit for all the back
registration!

A TR3 will fit in a regular old utility trailer available
at U-Haul. You don't tell them you're going to haul a car
in it. A TR3 is a very light car and is well within the
weight limits of these trailers. I used one of these to haul
home my TR2. It was 14'x5'. The disadvantage is that it has
no tie-downs on the bed, so you have to be a bit creative in
tying it down. This works well for short hauls, for long
highway hauls, get a full bed auto trailer. We have a "club
trailer" a member built to haul his TR3. Works well except
it won't fit a TR4 or up!

Cheers,
Kurt Oblinger
Redondo Beach, Ca.