Re: TR6 SPARK PLUGS

To: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 SPARK PLUGS
From: Bob Jones <JONES_M2@popmail.firn.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 15:17:54 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Martin Libhart wrote:

> I caught a recent thread regarding spark plugs.  Curious to know what
> plugs are working best in a carb. model TR6.  I've been having trouble
> with cold-fouling - dry, black sooty plugs, not oily. PO had a Bosch
> plug in the car.  I've changed to Champion Premium Gold plugs, equiv. to
> the old N9Y plug, but still having problems.  Anyone running a hotter
> plug with good results?  If so, what?
>
> Martin Libhart
> 1972 TR6 (driver)
> 1970 Spitfire Mk.3 (under restoration)
Martin:
Most of the racers here use NGKs.  For high speed running(High RPMs) use
BP7ESs.  Normal use try BP6ES.  I use BP5ESs which is a slightly hotter
plug and one that I find makes for a smoother idle.  Over the years I've
tried everything from the original Champions to Splitfires and found the
regular NGKs the best, and the cheapest by the way.  At around $1.05
apiece here you can replace them every 12000 miles at little expense.
Bob