Re: balist resistor

To: snake@cris.com
Subject: Re: balist resistor
From: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 22:25:34 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jake,

I don't have a full knowledge of the spit but I can explain why the
ballast restistor is usually used and why you should put it back in.
Your coil is probably a 6 volt coil.  The ballast resistor drops the 12
volts normally available from the battery/generator to 6 volts.  Why, you
ask.  Because during the cranking of the engine, the battery voltage
drops down to 10.5 or fewer volts, making starting very difficult with a
12 volt coil.  Knowing this Lucas, Prince of Darkness, installed the
ballast resistor with a bypass for starting, so that when the starter
motor is engaged you get 10 volts +/- to your 6 volt coil, making
starting easier.  Without your ballast resistor you run the risk of
burning out your 6 volt coil, by supplying 12 volts continously.

I assume your PO didn't put in a 12 volt coil.  Hopefully this is correct
for the Spit, it is for most older brit cars.

My Norton motorcycle did not have a bypass, but it did have a spare
switch on the handlbars.  Most owners created the bypass for easier
starting,  We didn't have electric starter motors, just kick starters.
Every little bit helped.